A pregnant woman was bitten by a snake: her life and that of the fetus were saved at Laniado Hospital.
A few days ago, late at night, Noah Gefen, a resident of Kibbutz Aogen, was watching television with her husband in their living room, when suddenly Noa was bitten by a young snake about a month old. The snake continued to crawl on the ground floor, while on the floor above their two children, aged five and eight, slept peacefully. Noah’s husband immediately alerted MDA and the kibbutz members who helped them capture the snake as soon as possible. Noa was quickly transferred to the Emergency Department of Laniado Hospital in Netanya. Upon her arrival, Noa received many treatments from different specialty doctors to protect her and her pregnancy.
“As soon as I felt the bite, I understood. I saw the snake and realized that it was a viper. At that time, I only thought of my children sleeping just above, and all I wanted was that this snake be captured. I walked away from the couch, sat down and started to breathe to make sure the venom did not spread in my body.
The ambulance arrived very quickly and one of our friends at the kibbutz, whose job is to catch snakes, also intervened. He told us it was a young snake about a month old.”
About the care Noa received at the hospital, she said the staff was “dedicated and professional.” She also added: “The caregiver to control all possible measures, conscientiously and meticulously.”
Dr. Morris Shapiro, director of the intensive-care unit who looked after this issue after his arrival, said: “A multidisciplinary team of physicians has been monitoring the various parameters and symptoms closely to ensure that there was no risk for Noa and her pregnancy, we are ready 24/7 to handle such complex cases, and I wish Noa to continue her pregnancy in good health and to give birth easily.”